Saturday, March 09, 2013

// // Leave a Comment

Creating ebooks

You know that my ebook reader had almost been damaged permanently. My friend Tanmoy fixed it and made the software as good as new. My target for rooting the device was to use ad-hoc WiFi connections(from my laptop). Along with that I also had a plan of installing a calendar app. Now it functions as a normal Sony Reader PRS T1 does. I still had the desire for a calendar...so that I would be able to set reminders and stuff like that, or atleast memos. That's why I started to search the net for various ways on how to make ebooks. My idea was this: to create an ebook that have the calendar of 2013 in tabulated form, just like a normal calendar is. Each page would be a separate month.
        The only softwares that I found for free or which had a small size were small editors and did not support tables or stuff like that. They just allowed the creation of ebooks in writing. Then I came across Adobe InDesign. Another software from the world renowned company that makes heavy duty professional applications like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc., this one let's us create professional ebooks! And yes, that includes the calendar making thing too.
        So, for two hours continuously, I went on making (actually trying) calendars, and finally got one optimized for my Reader. Now, at last I have fulfilled my dream of having a calendar 'app' for my Reader...:D After that, I made another ebook for my friend Anish, who is actually one of the best young writers of our time. Now, I have asked several other friends to give me their writings so that I can make ebooks out of them and send it back to them with professional formatting styles like good headers, contents, hyper links, and foot notes...:D :) Well, that's it for now. And, oh yes! I'll be going to Shantiniketan again during the festival of colours - Holi, that is on the 26th. I'll describe Holi in that post later...bye for now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment